Blisters are painful, fluid-filled lesions produced as the dermis and epidermis separate due to friction and pressure, temperature, chemical exposure or medical conditions.
In podiatry, they are typically caused by the following:
• Ill-fitting shoes
• Stiff or unyielding shoes
• Wrinkled socks or hosiery against the skin
• Excessive moisture
• Foot deformities
To prevent blisters:
• Keep your feet dry
• Always wear socks as a cushion between your feet and shoes.
• Wear properly fitting shoes
• At the sign of pain, stop, and change footwear
• Podiatrists can create orthotics to relieve pressure and rubbing